Texas Counties Deliver – learn how county government serves you

Reporting To A Reception Center
If you are asked to evacuate, you may be directed to report to a reception
center, either:
MRMC Wellness & Rehab Center in Bay City OR
Palacios High School Field House in Palacios
If the evacuation is due to an incident at the nuclear plant, you may be
checked for possible radiation contamination upon arrival at the Reception
Center. After being checked and registered, you may go to an American Red
Cross shelter, a hotel, or the home of a friend or relative who lives outside the
affected area. Firearms, pets and alcoholic beverages will not be allowed
inside reception centers or shelters, however, pets can be taken care of
outside STP Reception Centers for a short period of time.
On Page 6 is a map showing the nuclear plant's 10-mile radius. Locate where
you live and mark your evacuation routes to MRMC Wellness & Rehab Center in Bay
City (135 Medical Center Dr, Bay City, TX 77414) and to
Palacios High School Field House (on Hornet Drive at State Highway 35).

Early Evacuation

During an emergency, public areas such the beaches and parks may be closed or evacuated early.  Law enforcement officers can then assist with other community needs.  For a nuclear power plant event, this occurs at the Site Area Emergency level.  Announcements of early evacuation of public areas are made over local EAS Station, FM 92.5, and NOAA radio.

Protect Your Livestock

-Livestock must be left on your ranch.  Before you leave, be sure your livestock has enough food and water for a few days.  Stored feed is best.
-If an evacuation recommendation/order is already in effect, LEAVE IMMEDIATELY. Do not take the time to leave food and water for your livestock. You will be allowed through road blocks after the incident is over to take care of your livestock. 
-Animals used for milking should be sheltered and given stored feed because contamination eaten by a dairy animal may be concentrated in its milk.
-If you are in an affected area, milk samples may be taken from your animals.  This will indicate whether the milk is safe to drink.
Protect Your Crops
-An unharvested crop is hard to protect.  However, normal harvesting and processing may still be possible.
-Crops already harvested will be safer if stored inside.
-Before eating local crops, fruits and vegetables, please contact the Matagorda County Extension Office at (979) 245-4100. 

Care For Your Pets

-Pets most likely cannot survive on their own, and if they do, you may not be able to find them when you return.  Therefore, it is recommended you take your pet with you if you evacuate.  Deciding in advance what to do with your pet during an emergency can save its life.
-Even though pets and other animals are not allowed in public reception centers for public health reasons, help will be available to you at the Matagorda County Reception Center to care for your pet. And since there are few shelters that accept pets, it is important for you to make evacuation plans that include your pets as you put together your family plan. The Rio Colorado Chapter of the American Red Cross can help you with a list of hotels/motels that allow pets.
-Pets may be boarded with local veterinarians and boarding facilities.  Pet owners will be responsible for boarding fees.  
-When evacuating with a pet, be sure to take a leash, cage, and a way to tie your pet outside. 
-Bring an adequate supply of food and water, medications, litter and litter box, water and feed bowls, can opener, veterinarian’s name and telephone number, pet toys and bed, and current pet identification and registration/vaccination records.
-If you leave your pet at home, be sure it has adequate food and water for a few days.

As You Leave Home, Remember

-For natural disasters, switch off water, gas and electricity at the main source.
-During a nuclear power plant event, leave your refrigerator and freezer on.
-Turn off the lights and any unnecessary appliances.
-Lock your home.
-In leaving your home due to a nuclear plant or chemical plant event, keep the windows in your car closed and the air on recirculation.
For further information about assuring your pet’s well being during an emergency see the American Red Cross website at www.redcross.org,  Disaster Services, Be Prepared, Animal Safety.
Evacuation Expenses

If Matagorda County officials recommend evacuation during a nuclear power plant event, insurance may be available to help pay your evacuation expenses.  County officials authorized to make protective action (evacuation) recommendations are the county judge, precinct commissioners or mayors. Representatives of the insurance group will be available within 24 hours to assist you with expenses.  American Nuclear Insurers (ANI) will notify you by radio and/or newspaper about location(s) where you may file a claim.  You should keep a record and receipts of all expenses you incur because of the recommended evacuation.

Recommended Items To Take With You:

-This telephone book
-Water - at least a three day supply of 1 gallon/person/day
-Ready-to-eat food, enough for three days (food that will not spoil and does not need to be cooked or heated)
-Extra clothing
-Checkbook, credit cards, cash, and legal records (insurance, household inventory, tax records, insurance records, wills, stocks, bonds and deeds, passports, social security cards, bank account numbers, credit card numbers and companies, family records). Note:  ATMs may be inaccessible in time of disaster.
-Proper identification, including evidence of your physical address (e.g. electric bill)
-Eyeglasses, dentures, prescription drugs and non-prescription drugs
-Baby and pet supplies (bottles, formula, diapers, food, toys)
-Portable radio, a flashlight, and batteries (checked for freshness)
-First aid supplies and face masks for chemical events (available at hardware stores)
-Tools and supplies (manual can opener, tape, pliers, matches, aluminum foil, maps, pens, paper, eating utensils, plates, cups, plastic storage containers, whistle, etc.)
-Sanitation and personal hygiene items (toilet paper, disinfectant soap, feminine products, plastic garbage bags, chlorine bleach, etc.)
-Bedding for each person
-Entertainment items (books, games, playing cards, etc.)
-Special items (extra set of house and car keys, address book, etc.)